The auditorium demolition is well underway. All seating and balcony wall partitions have been removed, the plaster ceiling is being removed, and electrical work is in progress. We had a nice surprise when removed the ceiling tiles in front of the stage and discovered a beautiful wooden archway that had been covered up years ago. The sample chair is on display at the high school (photo here). If you would like to donate a chair to our project please click on the BHS Legacy Project link on our website. Thank you for your continued support.
Kindergarten Pre-registration for the 2018-2019 school year will be available on this site beginning Monday, January 29, 2018.
Date: December 19, 2017
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the following Special meetings of the Butler Board of Education for the purpose of Executive Session to discuss personnel matters will take place at 6:15 p.m. in the Butler High School Library:
January 8, 2018
January 10, 2018
January 11, 2018
January 16, 2018
January 29, 2018
January 31, 2018
No action will be taken.
We invite parents and community members to participate in an online survey. This survey is focused on what attributes you might look for in the new superintendent. Please take some time and complete this! Thanks in advance!
BOARD OF EDUCATION
BUTLER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
38 Bartholdi Avenue
HIGH SCHOOL ANNEX BUILDING
BUTLER, NJ 07405
Phone: (973) 492-2025 ♦ Fax: (973) 492-1016
Please Post Contact: Barbara Murphy
973-492-2025 x 6500
Date: November 30, 2017
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that there will be a Special meeting of the Butler Board of Education for an Executive Session for the purpose of discussing personnel matters on December 13, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the Butler High School Library. No action will be taken.
To the Butler community,
On November 6, 2017 we had our kick off meeting for the Auditorium Renovations Project. The project construction is expected to last the majority of the 2017-2018 school year. We have been busy planning and are excited at the prospects of a newly renovated auditorium. The project includes the removal of the old plaster ceiling above the ceiling tile grids and a new drop ceiling to be installed. There will be new stage light rigging, aisle lighting and stage curtains. There will be new flooring, new acoustical panels and new seating. There is a sample chair on display at the high school. We are looking for students, families, alumni, businesses, local organizations, and community members to be a part of the project by donating a new auditorium chair. For more information click on the BHS Auditorium Legacy Project link on our website. Check back on our website for more updates as we progress through the project.
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017, we will host a Parent and Community Member Forum to discuss the Superintendent Search process for the Butler Public School District. You are invited to join us at Butler High School Library at 7:00 p.m. to receive information on the process and timeline for selecting a new superintendent and to provide input on questions, issues, professional characteristics that you believe should be addressed as part of the Superintendent Search process.
Should you have any questions or wish to discuss the matter, please feel free to contact me at 201-274-5093 X 6510.
Mario D. Cardinale
The month of September is Suicide awareness month. Within Butler Public Schools, we recognize that suicide is a complex issue that has daily impact on the lives. To support our our our students, staff, family and community members, BPS is offering several activities.
- The District Mental Health Awareness committee members met on Sept 12. Tentatively the next meeting date will be Tuesday, December 5 at 7 PM in the BHS library. Any community member who is interested in joining this committee should contact Mr. Cardinale at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BPS has engaged with several mental health partners to provide more than 10 workshops throughout the course of this year. Select topics are available for Students, Families and Staff. Please visit out Mental Health Awareness Programs for more information.
- Last, media plays a major part in our students’ lives. As a topic of conversation with others, or a moment of reflection, take a look at the MTV presentation of “1-800-273-8255” by Logic.
In addition to our Parent Workshop Series, our professional development and community outreach initiative includes:
- Professional development for our administration, faculty & staff members in:
- Awareness Training and Case Studies in Anxiety and Depression
- Mindfulness Training
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Everyday Mindfulness in the Classroom
- Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)
- Intervention, Postvention, and Prevention Training through the Lifelines Curriculum
Training for community leaders, youth coaches and advisors in:
- Youth Mental Heath First Aid
- Question Persuade Refer Gatekeeping
- Lifelines Health Curriculum
Through our curriculum and special events, the following are being provided for our students through grants and private donations:
- Footprints (Grade 2)
- Refuse, Remove, Reasons (grades 8&9)
- Resiliency & Coping Skills Training ( grades 2-12)
- Small Group Support (all grades)
We are very thankful for the resources and opportunities made available to us through community resources, grant opportunities and private donations. For more information and complete descriptions of our faculty, student, parent, and community programs, please visit our district web page at: www.butlerboe.org
As a part of the Butler School Districts 1:1 Technology Initiative, many teachers took advantage of summer workshops which provided insights for instruction on the Google platform. Practices on Chromebook technology and applications of Google Classroom and Google Sites were a part of the workshops. Butler students in grades 3-12 will be a part of the 1:1 computer initiative.