Child Find Notice

  • The Butler School District has a responsibility to locate, identify and evaluate all resident students with disabilities who are in need of special education and related services, including students with disabilities attending nonpublic schools in Butler and those deemed to be homeless but remaining the responsibility of the Butler School District.  The school district locates, identifies and evaluates, where appropriate, the following: children below school-entry age (3-5); school age children; children entering school for the first time; children enrolled in public and private schools; transfer pupils and school age children who are eligible to attend school but who are not attending school and who are residents of the Butler School District. 

    Upon written request, the district will conduct an initial identification meeting for any resident child to determine whether a referral for evaluation for special education and related services is appropriate.  Such a request may be made in writing to the Director of Special Services, Butler Public Schools, 38 Bartholdi Avenue, Butler, NJ 07405.  The school district provides special education and related services for children ages 3-21.  Information for children with potential disabilities or those with disabilities from birth to three is available through Project Child Find, (a service established by the NJ Department of Education through I.D.E.A., Part B funds from the US Department of Education) at 1-800-322-8174.

Section 504 FAQ's

  • What is Section 504?

  • Who is covered under Section 504?

  • Who is an “individual with a disability”?

  • What is an “impairment” as used under the Section 504 definition?

  • What are “major life activities”?

  • What does “substantially limits” mean?

  • Who can refer a child for consideration for evaluation under Section 504?

  • Who decides whether a student is qualified and eligible for services under Section 504?

  • What information is used in doing an evaluation under Section 504?

  • Can my child be placed under Section 504 without my knowledge?

  • What types of accommodations will my child receive if determined eligible under Section 504?

  • Will my child still be in the regular classroom or will he be in a “special class”?

  • Can my child still be disciplined under Section 504?

  • If I disagree with the school’s evaluation, will the school district pay for an outside independent evaluation?

  • How often will my child be re-evaluated?

RTI Parent Guide

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.